Skip to Main Content


PORTABILITY and the Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program Broad Choice In Where To Live

**IF you are interested in Porting In to Santa Barbara County, you need to notify the agency you are coming from, that you wish to move to our jurisdiction. If they allow you to move then they must send us your paperwork first. Once paperwork is received it will be processed within 7-10 business days, you will be assigned a caseworker and that person will contact you.

IF you are interested in Porting Out of Santa Barbara County. You need to complete a port out request form and provide it to your HASBARCO caseworker.**

Now that you are receiving federal housing assistance, the United States Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) wants you to have a broad range of choice in where to live. One of the top priorities of HUD is to broaden housing choices for low-income families. The Section 8 Voucher Program does not restrict where in the city, county, state, or country you may live. Often families with low incomes are restricted to high poverty areas. If you live in such an area, your Voucher provides you with the means to move, and you are encouraged to do so.

Moving out of areas of high poverty or low opportunity offers significant advantages to Section 8 families. Moving will allow you to select a home in close proximity to better education, jobs, public transportation, public services, and shopping, select a home within a neighborhood that offers the amenities you desire, low crime rate, and/or a home in proximity to the school of your choice for your children. HUD studies show that when families move from high poverty areas, children reach higher levels of school achievement.

Where A Family May Move!
Portability enables a family to move nationwide from one local Housing Authority's jurisdiction to another. The Housing Authority of the County of Santa Barbara will coordinate with the Housing Authority in the jurisdiction to which you would like to move to make your move possible. You must check with the Housing Authority in the area where you wish to move before assuming that a transfer will be automatic. You should attempt to find out if there is a Section 8 Program operational in the community to which you would like to move, and the name and address of the person who might be of assistance. If you are unable to obtain this information, this Housing Authority will attempt to obtain the information for you.

Basic Procedures For Transferring Your Housing Choice Voucher To Another Jurisdiction 

  • Fill out the New Portability Request Form You will need to know the City and State where you want to move.
  • Turn the New Portability Request Form into one of our Housing Offices for review.
  • Once you have been approved to move, you need to serve proper written Notice to your Landlord (as defined in your Lease) and provide us with a copy.
  • You will be contacted by your Housing Specialist to make an appointment.
  • You will be issued a Voucher that will expire at least 60 days from the date of issue. You are encouraged to use it as soon as possible to avoid termination of rental assistance.
  • It is your responsibility to contact the Receiving Housing Authority to make an appointment.
  • The Receiving PHA Payment Standards will be used.
  • Different occupancy standards on the part of the Receiving PHA may change the bedroom size of your Voucher.